Does Jesus Know You?

DOES JESUS KNOW YOU?

The Question Series

 

Does Jesus know you? What a frightening question. It is, of course, based on Jesus’ response on Judgment Day to those who claim to know him, but apparently have failed in some aspect of their discipleship. The worst thing a human being will ever hear on that day is Jesus saying, “I never knew you.” 

            As we continue with our series “Questions you have always wanted to ask,” we are responding to this question: What happens when people die who think they know God but have not professed their faith in Christ? Matthew 7:21-23 provides us with a platform to begin thinking about this question. A flat answer regarding the God-seeker who does not include Jesus in their faith is overall rejection from the kingdom of heaven. God the Father and Jesus the Son are so intimately connected that you cannot have one without the other. So, the person who does not profess faith in Christ in this life will not enter eternal life. But why?

            In matters of faith, I have always asked “why.” I have never been able to accept the standard answers to difficult theological issues. I am convinced that our faith is meant to be explored by asking questions. Asking questions helps us to strengthen our assurance in God’s goodness. God is not afraid of our questions. My hope is that we will be a community where tough questions may be asked. Let us ask “why.”

            Why would Jesus say to any person “I never knew you”? If love is the hallmark of Christian faith, if “God so loved the world that he gave his Son,” how could anyone ever be rejected by Jesus Christ?

            Consistency! Calling yourself a Christian but living in ways that contradict that profession creates a serious conflict in your claim to be a follower of God. 

            In our text, Matthew 7:13-21, we observe three pairs: two gates, two fruit-bearing trees, and two professions of faith. Obviously, we have choices to make in how we live for God.


A Strong Profession of Faith

 

We face an apparent contradiction of another kind in verse 21. Jesus says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven…” (21a). Yet we know that to be saved we must confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead (Rom. 10:9). What we observe here is a strong profession of faith in an individual who calls Jesus “Lord.” 

            This profession is more than polite; it was common to call a teacher “lord” in the first century – it was the same as saying “sir.” But this person is fervent in his address; he repeats the title, “Lord, Lord.” It also appears to be a public profession since this person later says that he prophesies in Jesus’ name. This is not a private, personal confession – it is public. So, what’s wrong this profession? 

            Jesus adds a telling phrase that offers a clue: “…but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven,”(21b). It seems that this profession was verbal only. The person called Jesus “Lord” but did not submit to his lordship. What does that mean (submit to his lordship)? Luke gives another take on this phrase, “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” (6:46). There is a disconnect between what this person says he believes and what he does based on that belief. He apparently likes the idea of Christianity – and we see that in our world today; people choose the love and grace aspects, the acceptance and tolerance pieces, but leave out the hard parts like denying yourself and taking up your cross.

            But Jesus explains what a strong profession means when he says, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments…whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me…if anyone loves me, he will keep my word,” (John 14:15, 21, 23-34). Taken as a whole, obeying his teaching is a daunting task, and no one obeys it perfectly. You might ask, who then can be saved? There are two aspects to be considered in this respect: First, Jesus knows we will not reach perfection in our attempt to keep his word. As Paul says, we are to press on toward the goal of becoming like Christ (Phil 3:14). The effort speaks volumes to our love for Jesus. Second, what is Jesus asking of us? He sums up his teaching in the Great Commandment: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. John wrote, “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,” (1 Jn 5:3). 

            Modern evangelicalism has developed what some call “Christianity Lite.” It offers grace and forgiveness but downplays following Jesus in life. Pray the “sinner’s prayer” and you’re “in.” Where is the transformation from the old life to the new life? Christianity, as the NT describes it, is not easy; it goes against the grain of this world system (loving your enemy?). And Jesus does not permit loopholes. Loving him involves obeying him.

 

A Weak Defense

 

Am I saying that by obeying Jesus’ commands we earn our salvation? No, we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Am I saying that our words save us? No, we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. 

            D.A. Carson says, “It is true that (people) are saved by God’s grace through faith in Christ, but it is equally true that God’s grace in a (person’s) life inevitably results in obedience. Any other view cheapens grace and turns it into something unrecognizable…” There is no such thing as discipleship without obedience. It is the evidence that something supernatural has happened in you.

            How then do we explain what Jesus says next? “On that day, many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name and do many mighty works in your name?” (22).

            This would make a fascinating study into what faith does and does not accomplish. Many devout followers of Jesus throughout the centuries were not able to cast out demons or perform miracles, but these pretenders could. How is that possible? How can these things be done without real faith?

            We need only think of Judas among the Twelve as they followed Jesus. He heard the teaching of Jesus, was authorized to preach, cast out demons, and to heal. So, it seems that God works through unlikely instruments to do good works. On the other hand, our perception of what is of God or of the Holy Spirit may be skewed by our worldly thinking. A church that attracts thousands and thrives in its ministries we would say is a success. If that’s true, I refer you to Mars Hill Church in Seattle and the terrible wickedness that lurked beneath. Big is not God’s approval of a church, necessarily. 

            Note that the speakers in our verse made their defense to Jesus based on their profession and their works. They cry out “Lord, Lord,” and in all three instances of works they repeat “in your name.” Does that make a difference? Many things have been done “in the name of Christ” that did not match, that were not consistent with who Jesus is (the Crusades; Christians burning Christians at the stake during the Reformation, etc.). Claiming the name of Jesus while doing “great” things does not ultimately defend those actions if they are done for selfish reasons. 

            I viewed a “Celebrity Family Feud” clip last week – I don’t know why – where a lewd question was asked and answered. The woman’s answer was bleeped out and Steve Harvey and the audience were in shock. The woman laughingly defended her gross answer saying, “But I’m a good Christian girl.” Listen folks, I take this to heart – it convicts me too – if saying something like this is out of character for a Christian, then we/I should not say it. Not that being a prude saves me, but because I am saved by the precious blood of Jesus, I have the power not to say it. Saying “But I’m a Christian” is a weak defense for misrepresenting Jesus.


Words you never want to hear

 

Finally, Jesus says to these people, “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you, depart from me, you workers of lawlessness,” (23). Not “you didn’t know me” but “I never knew you.”

            How is this possible? God knows everyone. How could he suddenly, on the Day of Judgment, not know a person? 

            There is “knowing” and then there is “knowing.” You can possess a knowledge of someone and know all about them, likes, dislikes, and so on, but not have a relationship with them. The word Jesus uses describes an intimate knowledge, a relationship knowledge, like the intimacy between a husband and a wife. It is the same term Paul uses in 2 Tim. 2:9 where he quotes, “The Lord knows those who are his,” and then adds, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.” You can know of Jesus intellectually, in other words, or you can know him intimately.

            Do you ever feel like you somehow have a personal knowledge of your favorite TV characters? I have watched enough John Wayne movies and read biographies on him to know him pretty well. I even refer to him as “Uncle John” with my family. But if he was alive, and I met him and said, “Hey uncle John,” he would reply, “Do I know you pilgrim?” Knowing of a person does not create intimacy in relationship.

            The people Jesus rejects in this verse are people who have done everything – all kinds of good things – but not the Lord’s will. The Lord’s will is simple: believe in Jesus Christ as God’s Son and follow him. When we follow him, we are not just studying or memorizing scripture passages about him; we are asking ourselves on a daily basis “How can I be more like him?” He’s awesome; he’s the perfect person; he’s loving and kind and compassionate and forgiving. I want to be like him. I want to talk with him and share my heart with him. As I read his words in the Gospel, I will know him, and as I pray to him, he will know me. 


Self-examination

 

To sum up: My profession that Jesus is Lord does not save me. My good works do not save me. Only Jesus saves me. Because Jesus saved me, I want to follow after him and know him and he me. 

            If you are thinking after this sermon, “Does Jesus know me?” and you are a little worried, let me say this: Good! I do not want you to doubt your faith in Jesus. But I do want you to evaluate your walk with him and ask some deep questions. 

            Is my faith in Jesus defined by what I oppose? You can be against the evils of our day – abortion, injustice, racism, evolution – and feel ennobled as a Christian because you and other professing believers oppose these things.

            Is my faith in Jesus defined by what I defend? You may be an advocate for prayer in school, religious freedoms in our nation, or heterosexual marriage and the nuclear family. These are great causes to defend but are they a substitute for doing the will of the Father? 

            Is my faith in Jesus defined by what I think? Some Christians have an intense interest in theology or theological positions. There is a divide among believers today based on Reformed theology. Conversely, I know that I need to be careful not to be too Anabaptist at the cost of being a follower of Jesus. We must be careful not to pursue the Bible academically and deny its purpose in bringing us into relationship with Christ.

            Is my faith in Jesus defined by my loves? In this instance, I am thinking of what Jesus loves. Do I have a broken heart for people who don’t know Jesus? 

            These are tough questions. I ask them not to discourage you in your faith; I ask them to encourage you to go deeper in your walk with Jesus. I want him to know you and you him. 

 

                                                            AMEN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discipleship Series: Family Discipleship

Discipleship Series: The Politics of a Jesus Follower

Living a Faith that can be Seen - James 3:13-18